Monday, April 26, 2010

Blessed are the meek....

Have you ever had one of those "I am getting what I deserve" moments?  Recently I sure did!  TJ and I along with my parents, Gabrielle and Olivia,and our friend Jodi McCauley and her daughter Marissa went to a small remote village in Guatemala called La Puente.  It was my third time to this village and TJ's first.  I was so anxious for him to see it and meet some of the amazing people that live there.  On the last part of our journey a 4-wheel drive is required so we had borrowed a 4-wheel drive Suburban to ensure our safe passage up the side of a very dry and dusty Guatemalan mountain.  Another team of missionaries was also making the trek that day so they graciously waited for us so that we could travel up the mountain together.  Before leaving we were offered seats in the back of their pick-up.  We politely declined and hopped into our air-conditioned Suburban.  Much to our surprise a couple of the missionary ladies from the other group climed into the back of the truck and BY CHOICE rode standing the entire way up the mountain.  The road (and I use that term very loosely) was rough and rutty...Jodi and I laughed to ourselves that we would not be caught dead riding in the back of a truck...especially with skirts on. (We were wearing skirts in respect of the dress of the village ladies.)  We also questioned the wisdom of anyone who WOULD ride in the back of the pick-up BY CHOICE.  All of this said in complete kindness and respect you understand.......lol
We completed our trek up the steep mountain road and began talking and enjoying time with the lovely people of  La Puente.  We had not been than an hour yet when TJ called me over and said the Suburban would not start due to a suddenly spent battery and that to ensure going down, finding a compatible battery in a small Guatemalan town, returning to the village to replace the battery and again descending all BEFORE dark, we needed to leave NOW!  I was very disappointed to say the least.  TJ assured me there was good news.  The nice gentleman with the pick-up was willing to take us back down the mountain right away.  Realizing that indeed was good news and I should try to be grateful I started towards the pickup.  Then it hit me...our group was eight people...plus our kind driver...nine.  Someone...or a few someones actually were going to need to ride in the back of the truck.
So this is how less than an hour after pointing out the obvious foolishness of riding standing up in the back of a pick-up with a skirt on, I find myself riding standing up in the back of a pick up with a skirt on.  The driver showed me (and my partener in crime, Jodi) where to hold on and left us with the helpful words of encouragement "If you need anything just bang on the roof."  Thanks.  As we careened down the mountain, Jodi and I laughed and laughed.  It is so good to serve a God with a sense of humor.  The funniest part however was the third passenger in the back of  the truck with us....TJ.  The only thing I really remember him saying to us was "You guys know this is all your fault, right?"  Yep, we got that part...

1 comment:

  1. I've had way too many of those times to even count. :) Two things a missionary can't leave home without...flexibility and a good sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete